Louis Jordan - Caldonia ~ Swing, jazz and blues - Dance to the music

Wednesday, April 11, 2007

Louis Jordan - Caldonia

One of the things I'd like to do in this blog is to introduce you to great jazz and blues artists; here is one I haven't featured before: Louis Jordan performing the song Caldonia.



Louis Jordan was one of the best artists in the music style that is called jump blues. Jump blues is based on blues and swing but the horn section is more prominent and often an electric guitar is added. Jump blues was a step in the evolution of rock 'n' roll.

Caldonia is a fun song to play at dances, first of all it got great energy. Secondly, most dancers recognize the big break in the music at "What makes your big head so hard" and do something spectacular. Often they make a big jump. On one occasion when I was swing djing, the floor vibrated some from the dancing and I actually had to lift the cd player up when break came, otherwise the cd player would have skipped a beat due to all the jumping dancers.

What do you think of this video clip with Louis Jordan performing Caldonia? Tell me.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

That's a cool number, and I love the period fashions for women...very nicely performed.

Anonymous said...

Honestly I hate this video...it's SOOOOOOOOO watered down.

I've been killing myself looking for a real stage version of that song. I believe I first saw it on TV during "The History of Rock and Roll" He has this crazy outfit on and is kicking an stomping in sync with the kick drum. It was one of the coolest things I've ever seen.

I bought the DVD that has this clip on it, and I've only watched it once I was so mad. I can't believe he had to water his music down so much for white audiences. I own the Louis Jordan album called "Rock'n'Roll" and it has versions of many songs that are on that video. They are about a million times more aggressive and powerful on the CD.

I'd die to see him doing those songs on stage like I'm sure he REALLY did them in live shows when he actually cut loose.

Anyone got links to the good stuff?? I'd be eternally grateful =D

I should go buy the History of Rock and Roll videos...I know there's at least a couple second clip of the REAL Caldonia....

el_virrey said...

Hello I m form south America , I love your blog is wonderfull congratuletions

Diego from South American