Hey Mr Jesse: March 2008 ~ Swing, jazz and blues - Dance to the music

Wednesday, March 12, 2008

Hey Mr Jesse: March 2008

On the first Monday of each month I'm very much like a child on a roadtrip: "Are we there yet? Are we there yet?" but in my case it's not an amusement park that I'm waiting for, but close: it's the podcast Hey Mr Jesse.

This month I saw that the show was announced and tried the links on the Hey Mr Jesse webpage, but I couldn't get it to work so I reported it to Jesse Miner & Manu Smith. One minute later a email came back from Manu:


My goodness! You are too fast my friend. We are still uploading the file. :-)


Well, 20 minutes later I had downloaded the March edition of Hey Mr Jesse. I'm pretty sure I'm the first listener this time.

Download March edition of Hey Mr Jesse (~50MB, MP3).

If you like to know what's in podcast, check out the show notes for Hey Mr Jesse March 2008. You can't possible comment on everything on the show but here are some my comments about the show.

Who has the roughest voice? Manu Smith of the Hey Mr Jesse Show or Dan Fitzgerald from The Lost Wandering Blues & Jazz Band

The first thing you notice is that Manu has a cold and he sounds just like Dan Fitzgerald in The Lost Wandering Blues & Jazz Band. In the January podcast Manu complained that Dan has this rough voice and stills sounds great while he has a normal voice and can't sing. It would have been fun to hear Manu sing now and see if the rough voice makes a difference ;-)

They talked about one of my favorite artist when it comes Trad Jazz: Banu Gibson. Banu Gibson has released many good albums.

The 8-Count Swing featured songs from film soundtracks. A modern classic is "Business Of Love" by Domino from The Mask Soundtrack.

As usual I recommended music to them, this is what I wrote:

"I'd like to share some of my recent finds. First out is the singer Lannie Garrett who lives in Denver, Colorado where she has her own night club.

Lannie's voice has a certain "assertiveness" to it, it's strong and powerful. I'd like to recommend her album "
Kick it" where almost every song is great for dancing, you don't find many albums like that.

I get positive comments about the songs whenever I dj them at a dance. Her band has that full big band sound that I really like."


Have you listened to Hey Mr Jesse March edition? What do you think of it? Tell me.

1 comment:

Lindy Stamper said...

Haha, I love that show, that's what led me to your blog. And I love this month's edition, because I felt so honor that Jesse took my suggestion on the 8-count Swing going to the movies. :) So, I *heart* the show