VSOP: Concert at Parksnäckan: Photos ~ Swing, jazz and blues - Dance to the music

Friday, July 13, 2007

VSOP: Concert at Parksnäckan: Photos

Claes Jansson (vocals). VSOP at Parksnäckan. Copyright: Henrik Eriksson. The photo may not be used elsewhere without my permission.

Yesterday VSOP played at an outdoor concert at Parksnäckan in Uppsala. VSOP is an acronym for "Vocal Organ Sax Project". The band leader Kjell Öhman (on Hammond B3) has arranged songs for this somewhat unusual mix of instruments. The band consists of Claes Jansson (vocals), Ulf Andersson, Johan Hörlén, Alberto Pinton, Håkan Broström, Hector Bingert, Karl-Martin Almqvist (everybody playing saxophones), Jan Ottesen (guitar), Hans Backenroth (bass) and Jocke Ekberg (drums).

Karl-Martin Almqvist, Hans Backenroth, Håkan Broström, Johan Hörlén, Ulf Andersson and Alberto Pinton. VSOP at Parksnäckan. Copyright: Henrik Eriksson. The photo may not be used elsewhere without my permission.

This was the bands premiere performance that starts a small tour. Jazz singer Meta Roos joined the band for the premiere evening, that had not been announced so it was a nice surprise.

Karl-Martin Almqvist, Claes Jansson, Meta Roos, Johan Hörlén, Ulf Andersson, Alberto Pinton and Jan Ottesen. VSOP at Parksnäckan. Copyright: Henrik Eriksson. The photo may not be used elsewhere without my permission.

Kjell Öhman's arrangments were very good and the band was really swinging. A great full sound. The vocals by Claes Jansson and the guest singer Meta Roos was also excellent.

I liked Kjell Öhman's own song: Blues for Anne-Marie and the Benny Goodman song Soft Winds. Öhman had also done jazz arrangements of Can't buy me love (by Beatles) and I'm Walking (by Fats Domino). In the extra number, I finally found out the name of a great song: Black Nightgown (composed by Johnny Mandel).

The photos are taken by me and may not be used elsewhere without my permission. Contact me if you want to license them.

Have you heard VSOP? What do you think of them? Tell me.

No comments: