Hey Mr Jesse! July edition ~ Swing, jazz and blues - Dance to the music

Sunday, July 29, 2007

Hey Mr Jesse! July edition

Hey! I just realized that it's just a few days left of July and I haven't really written something about the Hey Mr Jesse podcast of July. I better do that now.

Well, I have mentioned the fabulous Nikki Yanofsky that scats like Ella Fitzgerald (which I found out about thanks to Jesse).

That show has so much great stuff so you need more than month to digest it all. They have all these great jazz artists and swing albums that they tip you about and I have trouble checking out everything so I sometimes I listen to old podcasts to discover what I missed.

The best thing this time was their listing of swing songs that got hand clapping in them. I've spun most of these songs when I've dj:ed and it's a great way to raise the energy in the room.


Songs with hand clapping really signals to the dancers: "All right, let's get this party started!".

After you play one of these songs you can follow it up with high tempo tunes for a while. My personal number one song from that list is Dizzy Gillespie's "School Days". Saves the day every time. I have to get the live version of Lou Rawls' "I Rather Drink Muddy Water". Great song.

I'm looking forward to the August edition when he will count down his top eight swing jam songs.

Download the Hey Mr Jesse July edition [47 MB, mp3]

Look at the show notes for Hey Mr Jesse July edition for all the details.

Have you listened to the July edition? What are your thoughts about the show? Tell me.

No comments: