Andreas Pettersson: Gershwin On Guitar ~ Swing, jazz and blues - Dance to the music

Sunday, April 20, 2008

Andreas Pettersson: Gershwin On Guitar

Andreas Pettersson (guitar). Gershwin On Guitar. Copyright: Henrik Eriksson. The photo may not be used elsewhere without my permission.

On Saturday I visited a concert at Katalin arranged by Uppsala Jazz Club that was called "Gershwin On Guitar" performed by the Andreas Pettersson Quartet.

Andreas Pettersson is an amazing guitarist that I've had the pleasure of listening and dancing to before. Two years ago he was playing together with his old friend Ulf Johansson Werre and some other musicians at Uppsala Winter Camp. What a treat.

This time he and his quartet interpret George Gershwin's songs. The other musicians in the band are: Daniel Tilling (piano), Martin Sjöstedt (bas) och Daniel Fredriksson (drums).

Martin Sjöstedt (bass). Gershwin On Guitar. Copyright: Henrik Eriksson. The photo may not be used elsewhere without my permission.

They started with songs from George Gershwin's early career: "Preludes I, II och III”.

Andreas Pettersson continued with songs like: "Embraceable You", "Strike Up The Band", "Lady Be Good" and "´S Wonderful".

They also played a bunch of melodies from George Gershwin's opera "Porgy and Bess": "It Ain´t Necessarily So", "Summertime" and "Bess, You Is My Woman Now".

If you want to hear what they sounded like, take a look at this page with the album "Gershwin On Guitar", which has sound samples.

Daniel Tilling (piano). Gershwin On Guitar. Copyright: Henrik Eriksson. The photo may not be used elsewhere without my permission.

In the break I had the good fortune of sitting beside a retired music teacher from Uppsala who told me some anecdotes.

Daniel Fredrikson (drums). Gershwin On Guitar. Copyright: Henrik Eriksson. The photo may not be used elsewhere without my permission.

The photos are taken by me and may not be published elsewhere without my permission. Contact me if you want to license my jazz photos.

Did you visit the concert "Gershwin On Guitar" with the Andreas Pettersson Quartet? What did you think of it? Tell me.

1 comment:

Tracy Kroft said...

I saw Andreas Pettersson at the Rochester International Jazz Fest here in Rochester, NY, last June and I adored him. The Gershwin on Guitar was amazing, and I wish he were coming back this year.

I am a music blogger here in Rochester; it's so great to have a chance to connect with someone blogging in another part of the world. Read my blog, if you have time, and do comment. I have bookmarked yours.

Cheers!