Erroll Garner: For once in my life ~ Swing, jazz and blues - Dance to the music

Friday, July 18, 2008

Erroll Garner: For once in my life



Erroll Garner is a jazz musician that I haven't listened to a lot, but after seeing this incredible performance of the song "For once in my life" by Erroll Garner from 1972 I really must seek out more music by him.

He certainly got a piano playing style like no one else I've heard. It's like a summer rain falling down on a tin roof, where each rain drop makes a distinct sound, and then, suddenly, *BAM!*, lightning strikes.

Do you have any tips what Erroll Garner recordings I should check out? Perferably uptempo stuff like this.

What do you think of this video clip with Erroll Garner playing "For once in my life"? Please comment.

1 comment:

Mats said...

Det här är ju ett gammalt inlägg som jag hittade via google, men i alla fall:

Jag håller med dig till 100% ang. Erroll Garner. Det lustiga är att jag fick upp ögonen för honom via samma video som du länkar till. Tyvärr är den borttagen från Youtube nu, men den var ju helt sanslöst bra.

Om du inte redan sett den kan jag tipsa om följande video som jag personligen tycker är lika bra.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wMyMHcmzxu4

Annars anses ju Erroll Garners främsta inspelning vara Concert By The Sea (från mitten av 50-talet, tror jag).