Sassparilla: Sinners Welcome ~ Swing, jazz and blues - Dance to the music

Friday, December 28, 2007

Sassparilla: Sinners Welcome



Today I want to feature something off the beaten track that I discovered by accident a while ago: the six piece jug band Sassparilla from Portland, Oregon.

Above you'll see their performance at the Whole Earth Festival this summer where the played the song Sinners Welcome. The song is hard to classify but I would call it a swingin' gospel with blues influences. Great raw energy, just like a jug band should have!

The video clip with Sassparilla has not the best sound quality, a much better recording is available from their website. Listen to Sinners Welcome (MP3).

I would not mind playing this at swing dance, but since it's not your usual swing song, I would have to be careful to select what audience to play it for.

Do you think Sinners Welcome by Sassparilla is a song to swing dance to? Tell me.

No comments: