The Rhythm Club in Natchez burns down ~ Swing, jazz and blues - Dance to the music

Thursday, October 16, 2008

The Rhythm Club in Natchez burns down

Last Tuesday I djed at Cats Corner. I played a lot of styles of swing music, so hopefully everybody got some songs that they liked. When I dj I almost never leave the dj booth to dance, djing gets my full attention. However, I couldn't resist to dance two songs with the lovely Miss J.

One particular song I played during the night was "That Night" by Swing Session from their selfentitled album.

"That Night" is a slow and groovy song with fictional story based on a real event: the night when the Rhythm Club in Natchez burned down April 23, 1940 killing many people.

I've found a blog post that gives you much more info on what went down that night in Natchez. Check it out.

What do you think of "That Night"? Please comment.

2 comments:

Button said...

Stompy Jones, which is the band formerly known as Swing Session (to the best of my knowledge), is a great act to see live. They're not my favorite type of music to dance to, but the energy they bring to a show is infectious and makes you want to get up and dance! I heard fantastic things about their Swing Session days, too.

"That Night" in particular always reminds me of a dance instruction clip with Solomon Douglas and Noni May Clarke, because it was the track they used. Definitely catchy!

Anonymous said...

One of my favorite songs that the now Stompy Jones plays! They have been most recently, ending their final set with "That Night", when they play at Disneyland every month. It gets all of us out of our chairs!! LOVE that song!!